Saturday, March 12, 2016

How My Faith Helps Me in My Marriage

Lately, I've been noticing how living the gospel of Christ has brought me joy in my marriage. This last semester I have been taking a Marriage class, which has turned my world upside down… in a good way. Ironically enough, I have been finding out that am definitely the one most in the wrong! It really hasn’t been him, it’s been me! The fact that I am stubborn and prideful may be old news for a lot of my family, but I can honestly say I didn’t fully realize it until now. Maybe because I’ve been too busy examining everyone else’s faults. If you can imagine my dismay and probably how funny it has been for my husband to yet again see how I’ve finally learned a lesson about the same thing he’s already told me a million times over. He hasn’t ever just come out and said it, but I can see how it has probably been a lot more obvious to him for a while now, yet he has remained ever so patient, gentle, loving and kind.

People always give my husband a hard time, joking with him and I, saying things like “How can you live with this guy? I am so sorry. It can’t be easy.” It’s usually the stereotypical things society believes to be typical of husbands that he takes a lot of public flack for: being lazy, stubborn, not always doing the best job the first time, being a little thick in the head… the list goes on. The fact of the matter is though, I’m more often the one responsible for all of the above!

Friday, before we left work (we both work at an Assisted Living Community), a resident came up to us and began to complain about the time change. She was seriously offended that the universe dare take an hour of sleep away from her in her retirement, while Seth expressed excitement at having an extra hour to do yard work, which seemed to surprise her. I just sat there, thinking how much I disliked this time change too. She then started to haggle with him as if she could strike a deal that might actually keep the clocks from “springing forward.” She suggested that Seth do his yardwork on Sundays, Seth pointed out that that’s the only day he and I get to spend together, so he wasn’t going to do that. She then said I ought to get out there too and help you, and I’m sitting there like “I can’t think of anything I’d hate to do more than yardwork on a Sunday.” She started badgering Seth into somewhat of a conversation corner, in which his only way out was the truth: “Jordyn doesn’t like yard work.” However, to my serious surprise, Seth said “You know why I can’t let her do that? She’d do a better job than I even could and I can’t have that!” Seth and I both know that isn’t true, yet he very sweetly kept my little skeleton in the closet and built me up to look like Wonder Woman.

That’s just what my husband does. He constantly builds me up and helps me to see the best in myself. He is much more selfless and charitable than I, in so many different ways, yet I’ve found myself (until recently) thinking that somehow I need to change his ways, lest he not be found spotless at the Second Coming. I have spent countless hours worrying about how he might not fit into the Kingdom of God and oh, what sadness that would bring me, when all of this time, I’ve been committing the much more serious sin. I’ve been living like a Pharisee for a long time, disguised as that poor girl whose family wasn’t always active and whose husband is a convert, as if that were a bad thing. I’ve been seriously guilty of pride, casting stones wherever I saw sin, yet assuming I didn’t deserve to have any tossed my way.
“And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27)
H. Wallace Goddard says:

“Notice the key elements. Our weakness is divinely appointed. It is intentional and heaven-sent. And it has one purpose: to make us humble.
That is the big surprise. God gave us weakness so we could recognize our dependence on Him. Our central task is to make ourselves (with the help of our weakness) humble. Then, as we turn our lives over to Him, He will make us clean and holy.”
           
All of this time, I’ve been under the impression that some of the hardest aspects of my life just “happened” to me, and though I vaguely understood they were meant to change me for the good, I didn’t truly understand that there was ultimately one goal that would solve most of my problems. That goal being humility. And it turns out that has been my biggest problem for a long time and it has caused me a lot of grief in a lot of my most important relationships. I have a long ways to go, but living the gospel has helped me to realize that it is not my job to fix my husband, it is my goal to fix myself and love him unconditionally. God will bless us as He sees fit, but being closer to Him is the heavenly elixir that helps us to become more tolerant and understanding with our companions.
Goddard continues:
“…When we presume to set our partners and our marriage right, we are intruding on the Heavenly prerogative. We are seizing the reins from God. It doesn’t work. We mortals make poor gods.
What does work is to recognize our weakness and beseech God for the divine gift of charity. Rather than tamper with our partner’s soul, we can throw ourselves on the merits, mercy and grace of Him who is mighty to save. Only when filled with heavenly light can we offer healing love to our partner.
This is fully foreign to the natural man—that same natural man who is an enemy to God. We want to fix our marriages using our own insight and wisdom. But, when we recognize that we never see the big picture, that we cannot look into our partner’s soul, and that there is only One who sees perfectly, then we are on the path to a healthy relationship.”

 There are two things that have stuck out to me from Goddard’s teaching in his book, Drawing Heaven Into Your Marriage: Powerful Principles with Eternal Reuslts,
  1. When we feel irritated with our partners (or really anyone for that matter, but especially our spouses) we should be grateful for this built-in mechanism that helps us to recognize an opportunity for repentance.
  2. Marriage is God’s finishing school:
“We will only succeed at marriage as we use eternal gospel principles to become more of what God has invited us to become. Marriage is God’s graduate school for advanced training in Christian character. Those truly succeeding at marriage are those who are applying the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives.”

 I am not trying to tell you my marriage is perfect, but I am happy to announce that I’m extremely happy with my marriage and I know that a lot this happiness, even joy, is a result of living the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment